Standard 2 Reader Expander
The Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander provides the interface of up to 4 reader inputs and 2 locking device Outputs to the Protege integrated access control, security and building automation system, an advanced technology security product providing seamless and powerful integration.
The Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander provides extensive hardware advancements that provide flexible access control, area control and alarm monitoring.
Local Monitored Power Supply
The Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander operates from a 16VAC input, utilizing low cost transformers and providing a fully monitored 12VDC power solution using:
- Deep discharge prevention of the battery with automatic electronic cut-off.
- Manual or processor controlled battery charge selection of 350mA or 700mA.
- Intelligent charging algorithm monitors battery and AC supply allowing optimum performance to be achieved using standard lead acid batteries.
- Monitored signals for battery low/disconnect and AC failure using local trouble zones.
The Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander allows a user to arm and disarm an area from a reader input when associated with a door:
- Deny access to a user based on the status of the area reducing false alarms.
- Dual presentation of the card can arm an area associated with the entry or exit direction of the door being accessed.
- Fail to arm programmable Output can be programmed to provide feedback in the event areas fail to arm when using card reading functions.
- Prevent access to a keypad using a card and PIN function or allow card presentation to automatically login the user at the associated keypad.
- Disarm an area associated with an elevator floor on access when using the Protg 16 Input Destination Reporting Interface in elevator mode.
Connectivity and System Expansion
Expanding the Protege System with local zone (input) and PGM (Output) from the Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander allows convenient cost effective expansion and added benefit of dual functionality on door monitoring zones:
- 8 zones can be used to perform any system alarm and automation functions with a dedicated enclosure tamper switch. All 8 zones are assigned functions that are processed by the Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander for door control. Each function can be enabled individually.
- Address configuration of the Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander interface is achieved using an 8 way DIP switch or by attaching a local Protege Alphanumeric LCD Keypad to the RS-485 interface.
- Unused PGMs for reader control can be used within the system as normal PGMs to control relays, lighting and automation.
Single galvanic isolated RS-485 communication interface port:
- Network RS-485 port used for all network communication functions and interconnects to other modules.
- Upgradable Firmware
- Utilizing the latest flash technology and high performance communication mediums the firmware of the Protege Standard 2 Reader Expander can be updated using the ICT Loadit utility over the Protege system module network.
Multiplex Reader Mode
Pushing the boundaries of functionality Integrated Control Technology have taken another step in providing the capability to connect up to 4 readers on to ANY of the reader expanders, introducing the multiplex reader mode:
- Allows the addition of an EXIT reader on to any existing entry with REX egress configuration.
- Identifies the entity with the associated EXIT and ENTRY events
- No limitations are made on the operation allowing user counting, car park counting, loiter operation, credential anti-pass back and area control to take place on the readers used in multiplex mode.
- Increased saving to customer while giving retrofit and installation flexibility.
- Connect 2 readers using the independent reader inputs or use the 2 reader operation to connect 4 readers providing dual entry and exit door connection.
- Provision to control up to 3 Outputs per reader input with predefined configurations for instant connection (red LED, green LED and buzzer control).
- Support for intelligent reader tamper operation the system will monitor the reader for reader keep-alive transmissions using the programmed protocol.
- Data received display indicates a valid decode of the format on the DATA indicator and the reader number the information was received (2 reader mode).
- Individually fused and monitored reader power supply protected with auto reset electronic polythermal fuse and monitored reader supply voltage.
- Power Output indicator shows power is available on the reader voltage Outputs.
- Over 45 formats predefined for simple configuration, additional formats added using the format builder or implemented directly using the firmware update function.